Monday, November 26, 2012

spirit animals

It's always a great getting-to-know-you game question: If you were an animal, what would you be?

I've thrown out my list of my kindred spirits in the animal kingdom as well as the mix of what animals I deem the cutest. I mean who can resist the tumblr blog titled: "Attack of the Cute?"

A couple years ago, I was at  Tzaize meditation, where the leader of the retreat begged three very powerful questions:

Who is the divine in you?
Who is the human in you?
Who is the animal in you?

I quickly brushed off the later and tried to focus on the first two, but it is the third question that I have been sitting with most since that retreat.

Who is the animal in me? I didn't really consider myself any bit animal.

On the contrary, 800 years ago, St. Francis of Assisi introduced the idea that human beings are only one of a myriad of creations of God and all are blessed in God's "eyes." He preached to birds. He blessed the fish. He spoke to animals as they were his equals and shared with them the God's glories as both humans and animals and reasons to be grateful. And, we do.

Perhaps, we are our own spirit animals.

And the question is moreso: who is the animal in you?

1 comment:

  1. That's an interesting verbage... "who" not "what"
    I think it explicitly differentiates between a "doing and "being"
    There is something fiercely natural still about our furry friends, and something to be learned. Can we disconnect from all that "we have made" and recognize a true "being" and call to appreciating life by experiencing it?
    Beautiful, Kiran.

    ReplyDelete